Fischer von Weikersthal, Walther
- Date of birth:
- September 15th, 1890 (Stuttgart/Württemberg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- February 11th, 1953 (Stuttgart/Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
March 1st, 1938: Generalmajor;
April 1st, 1940: Generalleutnant;
January 1st, 1942 General der Infanterie.
October 6th, 1936 - August 25th, 1939: Chef des Generalstabs, V. Armeekorps;
August 26th, 1939 - November 24th, 1940: Chef des Generalstabs , 7.Armee;
November 25th, 1940 - November 30th, 1941: Kommandeur 35. Infanterie-Division;
December 1st, 1941 - March 23rd, 1942: Kampfgruppe LIII. Armeekorps;
September 25th, 1942 - July 25th, 1944: Kampfgruppe LXVII. Armeekorps;
March 27th, 1945 - May 8th, 1945: Kampfgruppe Höheres Kommando "Oberrhein";
May 8th, 1945 - 1947: POW.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Generalleutnant (Major-general)
- Kommandeur, 35. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- August 6th, 1941
The following wartime excerpt describes why Fischer von Weikersthal would be awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“As a result of his independent decision to send his Vorausabteilung to the commanding high ground, General [no typo] Fischer von Weikersthal enabled the Bialystok pocket to be closed at the last moment. With this Generalleutnant Fischer von Weikersthal decisively contributed to the successes of the V. Armee-Korps as well as the wider operational victory achieved.”
- Photo 1: Gareth Collins
- Photo: Gareth Collins via Axis Biographical Research
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- KURSIETIS, A.J., The Wehrmacht at War 1939-1945, Uitgeverij Aspekt, Soesterberg, 1999.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio Verlag, Bissendorf, 2003.
- Die 35. Infanterie-Division - 1939-1945, Nebel Verlag GmbH, Eggolsheim, Deutschland, 2004
- Axis Biographical Research