Fischer von Weikersthal, Walther
- Date of birth:
- September 15th, 1890 (Stuttgart/Württemberg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- February 11th, 1953 (Stuttgart/Baden-Württemberg, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
March 1st, 1938: Generalmajor;
April 1st, 1940: Generalleutnant;
January 1st, 1942 General der Infanterie.
October 6th, 1936 - August 25th, 1939: Chef des Generalstabs, V. Armeekorps;
August 26th, 1939 - November 24th, 1940: Chef des Generalstabs , 7.Armee;
November 25th, 1940 - November 30th, 1941: Kommandeur 35. Infanterie-Division;
December 1st, 1941 - March 23rd, 1942: Kampfgruppe LIII. Armeekorps;
September 25th, 1942 - July 25th, 1944: Kampfgruppe LXVII. Armeekorps;
March 27th, 1945 - May 8th, 1945: Kampfgruppe Höheres Kommando "Oberrhein";
May 8th, 1945 - 1947: POW.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Generalleutnant (Major-general)
- Kommandeur, 35. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- August 6th, 1941
The following wartime excerpt describes why Fischer von Weikersthal would be awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“Through his independent decision to send his Vorausabteilung to the commanding high ground General [no typo] Fischer von Weikersthal enabled the Bialystok pocket to be closed at the last moment. By this Generalleutnant Fischer von Weikersthal decisively contributed to the successes of the V. Armee-Korps as well as the wider operational victory achieved.”
- Photo 1: Gareth Collins
- Photo: Gareth Collins via Axis Biographical Research
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- KURSIETIS, A.J., The Wehrmacht at War 1939-1945, Uitgeverij Aspekt, Soesterberg, 1999.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio Verlag, Bissendorf, 2003.
- Die 35. Infanterie-Division - 1939-1945, Nebel Verlag GmbH, Eggolsheim, Deutschland, 2004
- Axis Biographical Research