The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- February 18th, 1917 (Berlin/Brandenburg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- October 10th, 1944 (Western front)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Franz Danowski was posthumously promoted to Hauptmann.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Leutnant (2nd Lieutenant)
- Führer 10. / Panzergrenadier-Regiment 111 / 11.Panzer-Division
- Awarded on:
- October 18th, 1944
During the fighting in autumn 1944 Leutnant Danowski led a relief attack south of Chateau-Salins with only a handful of men. He succeeded in breaking into a tactically commanding enemy position via a surprise attack, and in doing so he captured/destroyed several armoured cars and heavy weapons as well as a number of prisoners. He and his men then defended this position against all subsequent enemy counterattacks. Danowski would eventually be awarded the Knight’s Cross for this action.
- - THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, 1998.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945