- Date of birth:
- February 23rd, 1919 (Krawarn/Upper Silesia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- February 14th, 2005
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Born in German-Krawarn (today Kravare in Czech Republic). He was German of birth.
Josef Papesch volunteered to the German Wehrmacht in 1938. From 1939 he was placed in the Infanterie-Regiment 2/11.Infanterie-Division.
In 1941 he was promoted to Feldwebel and became leader of the 3th company of the Regiment. On 7.3.1944 he was heavy wounded (received the Ritterkreuz). In the autumn of 1944 he was promoted to Leutnant. During the Battle of the Kurland-Kesselhe became POW in Schleswig untill August 1945. After the war he lived in Hagen/BRD, where he died 14th February 2005.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Feldwebel (Staff Sergeant)
- Zugführer Radfahrzug / Grenadier-Regiment 2 / 11.Infanterie-Division
- Awarded on:
- March 7th, 1944
- Photo 1: Mirek Herold
- Photo: Mirek Herold
- - Mirek Herold
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945