The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- January 15th, 1897 (Regensburg/Bavaria, Germany)
- Date of death:
- June 30th, 1985 (Munich/Bavaria, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Generalmajor (Brigadier)
- Kommandeur 6.Gebirgs-Division
- Awarded on:
- December 9th, 1944
During the fierce rearguard battles in the German retreat from northern Finland in early October 1944, General Pemsel contributed significantly to escape of major elements of the 20. Gebirgsarmee. In heavy fighting he personally saw to it that an enemy pincer movement against the XIX. Gebirgs-Armee-Korps failed, and that the already interdicted Petsamo-Kirkenes road was reopened. By his skillful leadership an encirclement of the 6. Gebirgs-Division was prevented, and Pemsel was recognized for this with the award of the Knight’s Cross and a reference in the Wehrmachtbericht of 03.11.1944.
- Photo 1: Russ Nummer
- Photo: Russ Nummer
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1993.