- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Tijdelijk res-generaal-majoor v/d generale staf.
- Commandant, Binnenlandse Strijdkrachten (BS), Nederlands Verzet
- Awarded on:
- August 24th, 1946
- Awarded for:
- Operation Market Garden
For having distinguished himself in interior combat in the performance of eminent deeds of courager, tact and loyalty, continually risking his life by:
1. having reported spontaneously in September 1944 to become leader of the Delta Center and he later became Commander of the Interior Forces in the Netherlans still occupied by the overwhelming enemy,
2. having held these functions in a cool-headed, courageous and most tactful manner until the end, having to move openly despite the highly increased activity of the Sicherheitsdienst (Security Service) against his organization,
3. having urged, in the most tactful manner and with strong moral dominance the three large resistance organizations to merge eventually, molding them into a well-functioning strike force, highly inspiring his sub commanders and associates with his endurance, his great perseverance and his example; consciously and courageously accepting with the greatest peace of mind the special dangers for his personal life.
Royal Decree No. 4 dated 24th August 1946.