- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Captain)
- Kommandeur III. / Stukageschwader 2 "Immelmann"
- Awarded on:
- October 17th, 1941
Received in recognition of his 301 sorties flown, as well as the following achievements...
- His Staffel's destruction of the important Oise bridge near Pont St. Maxence on 09.06.1940.
- Damaging a British destroyer near the Caso Strait.
- Destroying the road bridge across the Volkhov near Novgorod on 14.09.1941 with a direct hit.
- Damaging the Soviet cruiser "Kirov" with a 1000 kg bomb. During a diving attack on this ship his elevator was damaged and he died while trying to crash into the ship, only barely missing it.