The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Davis, Anthony Norman
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
Service number 43544, Royal Air Force.
2nd Lieutenant Royal Engineers;
13th May 1940: Pilot Officer;
13th May 1941: Flying Officer;
Flight Lieutenant (war substitution);
1st September 1945: Flight Lieutenant (permanent).
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Acting Squadron Leader
- No. 16 Squadron, Royal Air Force (No. 16 Squadron, Royal Air Force)
- Awarded on:
- July 24th, 1945
"Sqn Ldr. Davis has been engaged continuously on photographic reconnaissance work. He has proved himself a skilful and courageous pilot who has never failed to obtain excellent photographs even in the face of intense opposition. On four occasions he has been attacked by formations of enemy aircraft, but he has always outmanoeuvred his assailants successfully. On one of his missions over the Dortmund-Ems canal his petrol tank was hit by anti-aircraft fire. Despite the loss of fuel and damage sustained, Sqn. Ldr. Davis continued with his allotted task and secured some fine results. He has commanded his squadron for a period of eight months, during which time he has displayed exceptional qualities of determination, leadership and judgment."
Published in The London Gazette dated 24th July 1945.
- - The London Gazette of 11th June 1940, Issue 34870
- The London Gazette of 27th June 1941, Issue 35203
- Second Supplement for The London Gazette of 12th November 1943, Issue 36248, dated 16th November 1943
- Fourth Supplement to The London Gazette of 20th July 1945, Issue 37193, dated 24th July 1945
- Second Supplement to The London Gazette of 22nd March 1946, Issue 37511, dated 26th March 1946
- Flight Global - Archive