The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Erdmannsdorff, von, Gottfried
- Date of birth:
- April 25th, 1893 (Kamenz/saxony, Germany)
- Date of death:
- January 30th, 1946 (Minsk/Minsk Oblast, Soviet Union)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Gottfried von Erdmansdorf was Soviet Prisoner-of-War from August 1944. He was sentenced to death by a Soviet Tribunal for atrocities committed in Byelorussia and was executed on 30th January 1946.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberst (Colonel)
- Kommandeur Infanterie-Regiment 171 / 56.Infanterie-Division
- Awarded on:
- March 20th, 1942
The following wartime excerpt describes why von Erdmannsdorff would be awarded the Knight’s Cross…
“The independent decision of Oberst von Erdmannsdorff to break through in an easterly direction on the 23.01.1942, and the successful prosecution of this operation through to the 25.01.1942, would subsequently be of massive importance for the overall course of the combat. It was only with the help of Gruppe von Erdmannsdorff (consisting of 4 infantry Bataillonen, 1 MG and 1 Pionier Bataillon, 1 Aufklärungs-Abteilung and a light Artillerie-Abteilung) that a defensive front could be built up west of Bolkhov. If this had been broken through near Koljulkina on the 25.01.1942 then it most likely would have required a costly attack to retake the salient position of the LIII. Armee-Korps north of Bolkhov.”
- - PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio Verlag, Bissendorf, 2003.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X