- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Flight Lieutenant)
- Kommandeur II. / Kampfgeschwader 76
- Awarded on:
- October 21st, 1940
Awarded for the successes achieved by himself and his squadron in the opening months of the war. They included the following...
- The sinking of the Norwegian destroyer "Aegir", near Stavanger.
- The personal sinking of a 10,000 GRT troop transport off Dunkirk
- His squadron's collective successes at Dunkirk, amounting to one destroyer and 65,000 GRT of shipping sunk.
- His squadron's damaging of three enemy destroyers, a coastal patrol boat, and assorted merchant ships.