The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Gillis, Basil Joseph
- Date of birth:
- June 26th, 1925
- Date of death:
- November 21st, 1943 (Tarawa, Gilbert Islands)
- Buried on:
- National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific
- Service number:
- American (1776 - present, Republic)
His name is engraved on the 'Wall of the Missing' at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific Honolulu/Hawaii, United States.
Although Basil Joseph Gillis is known as missing in action, with us a photo from Tarawa is known with a grave, bearing his name.
Other sources mention his remains were transferred to the Cowles Memorial Cemetery in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Unknown is then why his name was added to the Tablets of the Missing. Unclear is if the grave in Ipswich is his actual grave or an empty memorial grave.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Photo: WW2 grave: Jay M. Johnson (from Andy Johnson)
- - Hammel, E. & Lane, J.E., Bloody Tarawa – The 2nd Marine Division, November 20-23, 1943, Zenith Press, St. Paul, USA, 2006
- American Battle Monuments Commission
Helaas geen map gevonden.