- Date of birth:
- February 20th, 1919 (Althof-Eylau/Easternprussia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- October 8th, 1943 (West of Brest, Atlantic Ocean)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Karl-Heinrich Matern shot a total of 12 enemy planes in his career.
He was killed on 8th October 1943 when his plane was shot down by an enemy Spitfire.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Captain)
- Kommandeur II. / Zerstörergeschwader 1
- Awarded on:
- October 9th, 1943
Awarded in recognition of his wartime successes. They included 12 aerial victories as well as 18 aircraft and 12 tanks destroyed on the ground.
- Photo 1: Koen Hermsen
- Photo: Koen Hermsen
- - OBERMAIER, E., Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe, Hoffmann, 1989.
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945