- Date of birth:
- February 20th, 1914 (Stetten/Württemberg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- July 27th, 1943 (Hauptverbandplatz 1/11 n/w Mga-Kelkolovo/Oblast Leningrad, Soviet Union)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
December 1st, 1942: Oberleutnant (RDA November 1st, 1942 -239-);
August 1943: Hauptmann (Posthumously RDA July 1st, 1943).
April 1st, 1934: Pionier-Btaillon Ulm;
October 15th, 1935: Pionier-Bataillon 15;
1940: Stosstruppführer, 2. Kompanie, Pionier-Bataillon 15;
November 20th, 1940: Pionier-Bataillon 113;
December 1941: Zugführer 3. (Mot.) Kompanie, Pionier-Bataillon 113;
January 20th, 1943: Pionier-Bataillon 23;
May 17th, 1943: Führer, 2. Kompanie, Pionier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 46;
June 26th, 1943: Kompanieführer, Pionier-Bataillon (Mot.) 23.
Joseph Lang died of his wounds on July 27th, 1943. At that moment he served as Kompaniechef with the rank of Oberleutnant.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Feldwebel (Staff Sergeant)
- Stosstruppführer, 2. Kompanie, Pionier-Bataillon 15, 15. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- July 4th, 1940
During the Battle of France Feldwebel Lang received the order to take four men and proceed to a concrete bridge over the Aisne canal, 2 km SE of Pontavert. The bridge, which was still in enemy hands, was prepped for demolition and Lang was tasked with capturing it for the Division in an undamaged state. After reaching the bridge, Lang identified and shot up the demolition charges in such a way to make them unusable. He then reached the river’s southern bank with 2 men, and defended the bridge until the last round with the help of a captured French MG. For capturing the bridge in an undamaged state as directed, Lang would be decorated with the Knight’s Cross.
- Photo 1: Wilco Vermeer collection
- Photo: Wilco Vermeer collection
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- SCHERZER, VEIT, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, VDM Heinz Nickel, Zweibrücken, 2015.
- Ritterkreuz Archiv III 2015, September 2915, Verlag Veit Scherzer, ISSN 1866-4709