Vaughan-Fowler, Peter Erskine
- Date of birth:
- January 18th, 1923 (Lahore, United Kingdom)
- Date of death:
- April 24th, 1994 (Oxford/Oxfordshire, Great Britain)
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
Peter Vaughan-Fowler came from family of aviators as his father flew and also his brother.
On the outbreak of war he was at school at Imperial Service College, but he enlisted in 1940 in the RAFVR and volunteered for pilot training. He was selected for No. 161 Special Duties Squadron which called for very accurate flying and the ability to navigate and map-read by night deep into enemy territory, and to land in small fields aided only by moonlight conditions and torches laid out by French agents to indicate the landing-strip.
Early in 1944, after a short posting with No 21 Mosquito Squadron, he was called back to Special Operations Executive work, this time in the Mediterranean theatre, flying Lysanders from bases in Italy and Corsica and carrying out operations in southern France before the Allied landings.
After the liberation of France he commanded a Mustang ground-attack squadron in the Balkan Air Force, and his leadership was recognised by the award of the DSO.
After the war Vaughan- Fowler received a permanent commission. Flying appointments followed, including the command of 247 Fighter Squadron and work with the Central Fighter Establishment.
After a spell in Germany as Wing Commander at RAF Wildenrath, he was promoted to Group Captain and posted to the Queen's Flight as Deputy Captain. Next he had a staff job at Air Support Command, where he served as my Senior Personnel Staff Officer. His final appointment before retiring in 1975 was with the Ministry of Defence Public Relations Branch.
In retirement he took up charitable work, fund-raising for medical research and hospitals. He was also a great supporter of 161 Squadron Association.
January 1st, 1954: Air Fore Cross
January 1st, 1967: CVO
November 22nd, 1941: Pilot Officer (probation/emergency)
October 1st, 1942: Flying Officer (probation/war )sub)
November 22nd, 1943: Flight Lieutenant (war sub)
September 1st, 1945: Flight Lieutenant (permanent)
July 1st, 1951: Squadron Leader
July 1st, 1957: Wing Commander
July 1st, 1962: Group Captain
November 1st, 1975: pensioen/ontslag
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Flying Officer
- No. 161 Squadron, Royal Air Force
- Awarded on:
- April 16th, 1943
"In the course of a number of hazardous operational missions, Flying Officer Vaughan-Fowler has displayed unsurpassed skill, great courage and outstanding devotion to duty."
"This officer has completed numerous operational sorties. Since the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross he has eontioued to display outstanding keenness and enthusiasm for operational work."
Second DFC awarded as a bar for on the ribbon of the first DFC.
"This officer is a skilful and courageous pilot. He has completed a very large number of sorties against a variety of targets and his determination and great keenness have materially assisted his squadron in maintaining their high standard of morale. Despite extremely adverse weather and damage to his aircraft, Squadron Leader Vaughan-Fowler has made many attacks against mechanical transport vehicles, locomotives and shipping, with a high degree of success. Much damage was inflicted on the enemy. This officer is a fine leader whose example has been well reflected in the operational efficiency of the squadron he commands."
- - The London Gazette Issue 35416 published on the 13 January 1942
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 35827 published on the 15 December 1942
- Second Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 35981 published on the 13 April 1943
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36165 published on the 7 September 1943
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36263 published on the 23 November 1943
- Fourth Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 37202 published on the 27 July 1945
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 37625 published on the 21 June 1946
- Second Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 39271 published on the 26 June 1951
- Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 40053 published on the 29 December 1953
- Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 41111 published on the 25 June 1957
- Second Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 42721 published on the 29 June 1962
- Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 44210 published on the 30 December 1966
- Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 46741 published on the 18 November 1975
- Flight Global - Archive
- The Independent