Plettenberg, Graf von, Georg
- Date of birth:
- July 11th, 1918 (Haus Alst/Rhineland, Germany)
- Date of death:
- July 29th, 1980 (Dortmund/Lowersaxony, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Georg Graf von Plettenberg reached the rank of Major. Served after World War Two with the Bundeswehr, reaching the rank of Oberst.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur schwere Kavallerie-Abteilung 4
- Awarded on:
- August 12th, 1944
Awarded for his actions during Operation Bagration north of Ssluzk. Here his battalion was sent into action against the attacking Soviet cavalry. Plettenberg and his battalion played a major role in ensuring that the further advance of the enemy could be halted.
Awarded for further distinguishing himself during the fighting in Hungary, specifically in the SW part of the Vertesz mountains (25.12.1944) and during a counterthrust near Zamoly (07-09.01.1945).
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1998.