Hughes, John McCulloch Middlemore
- Date of birth:
- February 13th, 1917 (Bromsgrove/Worcestershire, Great Britain)
- Date of death:
- December 7th, 1940 (Elton/Huntingdonshire, Great Britain)
- Service number:
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
John McCulloch Middlemore was born on February 13th, 1917 as son to Percy Theodore Hughes and Emily Christabel Hughes. He was married to Marta Louise de la Salle.
John Hughes was on a patrol to check ou the blackout over Peterborough with his Bristol Blenheim L1235. he found himself in a severe storm and lost control over the airplane. The plane crashed near Elton,killing Hughes and his gunner Sergeant J.R. Friend, Radar Operator Sergeant F.B. Blenkharn was severely injured.he liest buried at the Chilworth Cemetery, Hampshire.
?: Flight Cadet;
September 10th, 1937: Pilot Officer (seniority July 31st, 1937);
January 31st, 1939: Flying Officer;
August 12th, 1939: Acting Flight Lieutenant;
September 3rd, 1940: Flight Lieutenant.
1930 - 1934: Haileybury College;
September 1935 - July 1937: Flight Cadet RAF College, Cranwell;
?: No. 218 Squadron;
Septmber 3rd, 1940: Radio Servicing Flight, Biggin Hill;
September 26th, 1940: Flight Commander No. 25 Squadron, North Weald.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Acting Flight Lieutenant
- No. 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron, Royal Air Force
- Awarded on:
- June 21st, 1940
"During a period in May, 1940, this officer led many successful raids. On one day an attack was made on an enemy column at Dippach. Four days later he successfully pressed home a bombing attack on an enemy position, although attacked by a strong force of Messerschmitt 109's, but by skilfully manoeuvring his aircraft he enabled his air gunner to shoot down one enemy aircraft. Flight Lieutenant Hughes has shown magnificent leadership as a flight commander and, by his coolness and initiative, has maintained the excellent spirit and morale of all his flight personnel."
- Photo 1: Tom MacNeill
- - The London Gazette of 10th September 1937, Issue 34434
- The London Gazette of 31st January 1939, Issue 34594
- The London Gazette of 19th September 1939, Issue 34687
- The London Gazette of 21st June 1940, Issue 34878
- The London Gazette of 27th September 1940, Issue 34954
- Battle of Britain London Monument