The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- March 10th, 1904 (Munich/Bavaria, Germany)
- Date of death:
- September 10th, 1943 (Soemy/Ukrain, Soviet Union)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
1937: Leutnant der Reserve;
1940: Hauptmann der Reserve;
March 1st, 1943: Major der Reserve;
November 18th, 1943: Oberstleutnant der Reserve (postuum).
1923 - 1936: Infanterie-Regiment 19;
August 26th, 1939: Infanterie-Regiment 199;
?: Kommandeur I. / Infanterie-Regiment 199;
?: Kommandeur I. / Grenadier-Regiment 199;
August 17th, 1943: Führer Grenadier-Regiment 199.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann der Reserve (Captain of Reserves)
- Kommandeur, I. Bataillon, Grenadier-Regiment 199 "List", 57. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- February 9th, 1943
Awarded for the weeks-long defensive stand he and his Regiment upheld during heavy fighting southeast, south and southwest of Ssumy. In this time Heindl, fighting at the head of his men, repeatedly managed to stave off attacking Soviet forces, throw back enemy units that had penetrated the German lines with counterattacks of his own and inflict heavy casualties on the enemy throughout the battle by the skillful, elastic defense that he employed.
Heindl was recommended for the Oakleaves following his death for once again distinguishing himself by his bravery and leadership qualities south of Ssumy. He fell in the foremost line.
- Photo 1: Wilco Vermeer collection
- Photo: Wilco Vermeer collection
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1997.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht