- Date of birth:
- February 11th, 1912 (Havelberg/Perleberg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- February 16th, 2001 (Meckenheim/Siegburg, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
October 1st, 1934: Leutnant (116);
August 1st, 1937: Oberleutnant (112);
July 1st, 1940: Hauptmann (22);
June 1st, 1943: Major (84);
April 20th, 1945: Oberstleutnant.
August 27th, 1939: Adj. Pi.Rgt. 620 (mot.);
February 10th, 1940: Pz.Pi.Btl. 37;
November 16th, 1940: Pz.Tr.Sch.;
December 19th, 1940: Pz.Lehr.Rgt. Wünsdorf;
February 9th, 1941: Pi.Sch. II (Offz.Anw.Lg.);
May 10th, 1942: St.Gen.d.Pi.b.H.Gr. Nord;
January 21st, 1943: Führer-Reserve OKH;
February 25th, 1943: Kdr. Pz.Pi.Btl. 92;
January 14th, 1944: Führer-Reserve OKH;
May 1st, 1944: HPA / Ag P 1 / 5.Abt./ Gr.Ltr. (Pi) vers.;
February 2nd, 1945: z.Kampfkommandant u.Fhr.d. Alarmeinght.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Kommandeur, Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 92, 20. Panzer-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- January 24th, 1944
Following a Soviet break-in into the German frontline near the end of 1943, which was only barely contained, the German 20. Panzer-Division initiated a counterattack with two Kampfgruppen. One (Kampfgruppe Süd), was commanded by Major Stettin and it consisted of the Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 92 and the Panzer-Aufklärungs Abteilung 20. The goal was to recapture the old defensive lines.
Though these were reached in some places, under heavy enemy pressure the counterattack had to be called off and the Kampfgruppe took up defensive positions in the south. Despite the failure to retake the old positions, the Kampfgruppe had succeeded in preventing the numerically-superior enemy forces from breaking through to the east and encircling the bulk of the IX. Armeekorps north of Gorodok. For this Stettin was awarded the Knight's Cross.
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- SCHERZER, VEIT, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, VDM Heinz Nickel, Zweibrücken, 2015.
- NARA Roll T-78 R893