The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- May 27th, 1919 (Madisonville, United States)
- Date of death:
- December 19th, 1944 (Rocherath, Belgium)
- Buried on:
- Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial
Plot: F. Row: 6. Grave: 28.
- American (1776 - present, Republic)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Technician (T-4)
- Company C, 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division "Indianhead" U.S. Army
- Awarded on:
- May 24th, 1945
"On 19 December 1944, as scout, he led a squad assigned to the mission of mining a vital crossroads near Rocherath, Belgium. At the first attempt to reach the objective, he discovered it was occupied by an enemy tank and at least 20 infantrymen. Driven back by withering fire, Technician 4th Grade Kimbro made 2 more attempts to lead his squad to the crossroads but all approaches were covered by intense enemy fire. Although warned by our own infantrymen of the great danger involved, he left his squad in a protected place and, laden with mines, crawled alone toward the crossroads. When nearing his objective he was severely wounded, but he continued to drag himself forward and laid his mines across the road. As he tried to crawl from the objective his body was riddled with rifle and machinegun fire. The mines laid by his act of indomitable courage delayed the advance of enemy armor and prevented the rear of our withdrawing columns from being attacked by the enemy."
- Photo 2: Karel Renders
- Photo: Home of Heroes
- Pop-up photo gravesite on US Cemetary Henri-Chapelle in Belgium: Karel Renders
- - JORDAN, K. N., SR., Yesterday's Heroes, Schiffer Publishing Ltd., Atglen, United States, 1996.
- UNITED STATES ARMY, The combat history of the Second Infantry Division in World War II, The Battery Press, Nashville, 2001.
- Home of Heroes
- In Honored Glory