The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- December 9th, 1908 (Saalfeld/Eastprussia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- December 31st, 1970 (Oberkalbach/Hesse, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberleutnant der Reserve (1st Lieutenant of Reserves)
- stellvertretender führer, I. Bataillon, Grenadier-Regiment 45, 21. Infanterie-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- February 18th, 1945
On the 02.02.1945 the I./Grenadier-Regiment 45 launched an attack via Tolks against Neuendorf (on the Heilsberg—Landsberg road). However they only got as far as Reddenau, where an enemy force trying to move to the north was halted. Two days later the Bataillon captured Stettinen, Worglitten and Albrechtsdorf. On the 05.02.1945 Albechtsdorf was held against strong enemy attacks. For his command of the Bataillon during these battles Oberleutnant Kappis would be awarded the Knight’s Cross.
On the 27.03.1945 Oberleutnant Kappis and the remnants of his Bataillon were deployed south of Balga. At 03:00 they received orders to march to the jetties in the town. However upon arrival they found that the regimental commander had fallen and the ships had left.
Seeing this, Kappis rallied the splintered groups (hailing from multiple divisions) in the area and launched an attack that secured a defensive line to the south and west of Balga. Personally leading his men forward, he captured the ruins of a castle in close combat and held it against 5 enemy attacks. Thereafter he launched a sally through two enemy defense lines towards Kahlholz. With 120 men he saved about 400 (mostly wounded) soldiers from annihilation in this place.
For the sum of these achievements Kappis would be awarded the Oakleaves.
Unnumbered award, would have been the 849th award when numbered.
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- PATZWALL, K. & SCHERZER, V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1997.