The Volga flotilla stood under command of Rear Admiral Dmitry Rogatsjev and played a key role in the battle of Stalingrad. This flotilla had the following tasks:
- To cross over supplies, fresh reinforcement and wounded.
- To provide fire support to the fighting Red Army in the city.
- To protect the communication lines in the water.
- To escort weaker and unarmed transport ships.
- To eliminate enemy air threat with anti aircraft guns.
This memorial is dedicated to the heroic efforts of the Volga flotilla and can be found near the Panoramic museum "Battle of Stalingrad".
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!