The IJmuiden lock complex forms the gateway between the North Sea Canal and the North Sea. Since 1876, several locks have been built here: the Zuidersluis (Southern Lock), Middensluis (Middle Lock), Noordersluis (Northern Lock), Spuisluis (Spuis Lock), a pumping station, and, in 2022, the IJmuiden Sea Lock. To the west lies the Fortress Island, part of the Defence Line of Amsterdam.
The first plans for the canal were drawn up in 1852. The Zuidersluis (Southern Lock), completed in 1872 and officially opened in 1876, was initially intended for drainage and dredging equipment. Due to the growth of shipping, it soon proved too small. The Middensluis (Middle Lock) followed in 1896, the largest in the world at the time, with a length of 225 meters. Construction took almost ten years and cost 5.8 million guilders.
The Noordersluis (Northern Lock) was completed in 1928 and opened by Queen Wilhelmina in 1930. At 400 meters long and 50 meters wide, it was once again the largest in the world. The roller doors, each over 50 meters long and 20 meters high, were transported by sea from Rotterdam. The lock could only be fully utilized from 1960 onwards, following the deepening of the canal.
In addition to the locks, the Hoogovens steel industry emerged in 1918. IJmuiden was chosen for its favorable location on the canal. The first blast furnace produced iron in 1924. The factory grew into one of the largest steel producers in Europe, processing approximately 15 million tons of raw materials annually.
Militarily, IJmuiden received a coastal fort in 1887 to protect the locks and as part of the Fortifications Act. During the construction of the Noordersluis (North Lock), a new canal was dug, resulting in the fort being located on an island.
The lock complex has been adapted over the centuries to the demands of shipping and still plays a central role in the connection between Amsterdam and the North Sea.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!