A memorial place for the liberation of Walcheren.
The Commando memorial stands next to the 52 Lowland Division monument.
On the front on the pedestal is the text:
No. 4 Commando.
Both sides are plaques affixed to the pedestal with French,
Dutch and English text
The English text on the plaque:
In memory of all ranks of No 4 command
who fell during the 1939-1945 war and to
the local citizens of Flushing who were
killed during the occupation and at the
hour of their liberation.
The French and Dutch text on the plaque:
A la memoire des officers, sous-officers soldats et
du 4me command et des citoyens loyauxs the Flessengue
The memory of the fallen of the 4th Commando and
of the loyal citizens of Vlissingen.
At the location of this memorial, next the Commando memorial, there was during the liberation of Vlissingen a garbage dump.
This garbage dump was near a small harbor, where the allied used their amphibian vehicles to came on land under a fierce resistance from the enemy.
From there, the liberators marched up under fierce opposition from the Germans through various streets, into the direction of the Boulevard to Britannia Hotel where the Headquarter of the enemy was established.
Text on the monument:
52 Lowland Division
landed here from Breskens
on nov.1 1944
to liberate the island.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Mia van den Berg
- Photos: Arjan Vrieze (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), Mia van den Berg (7, 8)