In French they called it the "Grand quartier general allemand 1940".

Close to the small place of Couvin lies a small bunker "Abri d’Hitler", with 2 wooden barracks. It is a big terrain in a woody environment. The terrain lies near a church and a bar. In the town, time seems to have halted. The coffee tasted delicious, but the atmosphere was as if in the war.

The church is a story apart. In 1940 Hitler had ordered to remove the church bell and to place a water tank for his men in the tower. There are still regularly held memorials over here. When we were there in June 2000, there were many veterans there for a service.

In those barracks are 2 exhibitions.

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source

  • Text: Ron & Agnes van Os
  • Photos: Anneke Moerenhout (1,5) & Bert Jans (2,3,4)

Related books

Het Derde Rijk Deel 1
Adolf Hitler und die Geschichte der NSDAP 1938-1945
Felsennest, das vergessene Führerhauptquartier in der Eiffel
Erich von Manstein, leadership-strategy-conflict
Read more (1)