STOLPERSTEINE / STUMBLING STONES
- Sophia Bood-van der Stam. Born 1871. Deported 1942 to Westerbork. Murdered 07 Sept 1942. Auschwitz. [widow of Mozes Bood; mother of Johanna.]
- Johanna Ehrlich-Bood. Born 1893. Deported 1942 to Westerbork. Murdered 07 Sept 1942. Auschwitz. [7 sep on stolperstein, in joodsmonument.nl & in genie.com. Daughter of Sophia Bood-van der Stam. Johanna was married to Hermann Erlich, who was Mariemís brother.]
- Abraham Icek Tuschinski. Born 1886. Deported 1942 to Westerbork. Murdered 17 September 1942. Auschwitz. [Abraham Tuschinski was the owner of a number of theaters, including the Tuschinski Theater in Amsterdam.]
- Mariem Estera Tuschinski-Ehrlich. Born 1885. Deported 1942 to Westerbork. Murdered 17 September 1942. Auschwitz. [Abrahamís wife.]
The German artist Gunter Demnig started placing the first Stolpersteine in 1997 in the Berlin's Kreuzberg district.
Meanwhile there are Stolpersteine in many countries.
It reminds the Holocaust in World War II.
A Stolperstein is a concrete stone of 10 x 10cm, with a brass plate on top, in which the name, date of birth and decease and also place of decease is punched into.
The Stolperstein gets a place in the pavement in front of the former house of the victim.
By doing this, Gunter Demnig gives a private memorial to each victim.
His motto is: 'A HUMAN BEING IS FORGOTTEN ONLY WHEN HIS OR HER NAME IS FORGOTTEN'.
Borne was the first town in the Netherlands in which Stolpersteine were placed.
This happened the 29-11-2007.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Anneke Moerenhout & Anne Palmer
- Photos: Anneke Moerenhout & Franc Nissen (1, 2, 5), Anneke Moerenhout (3, 4)