This memorial is to commemorate the Y-29 Zutendaal Air Base. The air base was construct in November 1944 by the USAAF IX Engineer Command, 852nd and 846th engineer Aviation Batallion. The air field consisted of a number of tents for housing, a fuel and ammo dump, food and water supplies and an electrical grid for communications and illumination.
The following groups were stationed there:
366th Fighter Group (P-47 Thunderbolt): November 19, 1944 to April 11, 1945
352nd Fighter Group (P-51 Mustang): December 1944 to February 1945 (moved to Y-84)
406th Fighter Group (P-47 Thunderbolt): February 8, 1945 to April 15, 1945
391st Bomber Group (B-26 Marauders): April 1945 to May 27, 1945
The airfield was closed and abandoned on June 20, 1945. Today, all that remains is a memorial in a wooded area where Y-29 used to be. The monument is located near the spot where the end of the runway used to be.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Lennard Bolijn
- Photos: Gilbert Joosten