The "Fallschirmschützenabzeichen der Luftwaffe" (Medal for paratroopers) was created by Hermann Göring on November 5th, 1936. The requirements and the description were published in the Luftwaffen-Verordnunngsblatt (Air Force manual) of November 16th , 1936.
The medal could be awarded after succesful graduation from the "Fallschirmschützenlehrgang," (Parachutist training). Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers who had already graduated from the "Schützenlehrgang" received the medal immediately after succesful conclusion of their paratraining. This according to an amendment of the requirements on May 10th, 1937 which was published in the Luftwaffen-Verordnungsblatt of May 17th, 1937.
The medal is made up of a silver plated oval ring with a half oakleaf laurel on the left and a hal leaf laurel on the right. Both laurels are tied together at the bottom. On the laurel, a gold plated eagle, diving down is mounted with a swastika in its talons. Apart form the version in metal, there are also versions made of cloth in existence. The medal measures approximately 2" in heigth and 1.6" in width.
The decoration was to be worn on the left breast and was fastened with a pin.
On December 5th, 1936, the Fallschirmschützenabzeichen der Luftwaffe was awarded for the first time.
Pursuant to the "Gesetz über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen," (Law on Titles, Orders and Decorations) of July 26th , 1957, the decoration can be worn in a denazified version.
In the post-war Bundeswehr, the decoration is used for paratroopers; the eagle holds no object in its talons and the laurels are held together by the German flag.