Daanen, Hermanus Jan Hendrik
- Date of birth:
- December 21st, 1916 (Vlissingen, the Netherlands)
- Date of death:
- September 7th, 1944 (Mossman/North Queensland, Australia)
- Buried on:
- Dutch War Graves Cairns
- Dutch (1815-present, Kingdom)
1st Lt. H.J.H. Daanen disappeared on 7 September 1944 during a flight with a C-47 from Merauke to Cairns. The wreckage of the Dakota was eventually discovered in January 1989. The deceased passengers and crew are buried at the War Cemetery at Cairns.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Eerste-Luitenant Vlieger-Waarnemer (Flying Officer)
- No. 18 (Dutch) squadron, RAAF
- Awarded on:
- December 9th, 1949
"During the war with Japan from 1943-1945 he bravely and persistently served as a member of an aircrew. He carried out at least 39 operational flights with a total of 234 flying hours, during this flights he caused the enemy considerable damage."
Royal Decree No.25, dated December 9th, 1949.
Posthumously awarded in 1949 with the clasp "War flights 1940-1945". The clasp "War flights 1940-1945" was awarded to those who actually fought against the enemy, aboard airplanes, and were in active service in an area of war for at least six months.