- Date of birth:
- March 20th, 1917 (Graudenz/Westprussia, Germany)
- Date of death:
- January 16th, 1942 (Belnja/Russia, Soviet Union)
- German (1933-1945, Third Reich)
October 1st, 1936: Gefreiter;
October 1st, 1937: Unteroffizier;
May 1st, 1940: Feldwebel;
November 1st, 1940: Reserve Offiziersanwärter;
February 15th, 1941: Oberfeldwebel;
June 17th, 1941: Leutnant der Reserve;
April 1st, 1942: Oberleutnant der Reserve.
?: Sturm-Abteilung "Koch";
?: Führer, 3. Kompanie, Fallschirmjäger-Sturm-Regiment 1.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Sturm-Gruppe „Stahl“, Fallschirm-Jäger-Sturm-Abteilung „Koch“, 7. Flieger-Division, Luftwaffe
- Awarded on:
- May 13th, 1940
"Awarded for distinguishing himself with his Pionier squad during the airborne assault against the bridge over the Albert Canal at Veldwezelt. In this time he and his men cut all the bridge’s demolition wires (including the reserve ones) while under heavy enemy fire. They then knocked out a bunker that had been built into the western bridge pier along with its garrison of 15 men before subsequently clearing all the obstacles atop of and in front of the bridge, again under heavy fire. These actions by Arpke and his squad significantly contributed to the ability of Sturmgruppe “Stahl” to capture the bridge in just 10 minutes."
- Photo 1: Bundesarchiv Bild 146-1980-108-36A (CC Attribution Share Alike 3.0)
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1986.
- Fallschirmjägerkameradschaft Düsseldorf "Dr. Heinrich Neumann"