The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
Selwyn, John Jasper
- Date of birth:
- August 11th, 1918
- Date of death:
- May 21st, 1997
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
Service number 75243.
January 1st, 1941: 1st Lieutenant
July 1st, 1946: Captain
August 25th, 1951: Major
August 10th, 1959: retirement
Post WW2 decorations:
October 30th, 1953: MiD for Malaya
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Acting Captain
- I3th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own), Royal Armoured Corps (Henley-on-Thames) (I3th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own), Royal Armoured Corps (Henley-on-Thames))
- Awarded on:
- October 2nd, 1942
"He distinguished himself troughout the day by his coolness and determiniation to carry out his orders to engage the enemy, though no more than a handful of his Troop reached the shore. His personal intervention under hot fire saved Tpr. Abbott from being lost during the withdrawal when he was exhausted and clinging to the lifelines; this also enabled th L.C.P. to proceed.
Trhoughout the action Captain Selwyn acted with great gallantry and complete disregard of dangers. He was an inspiration to all concerned."
- - Copy of the original recommendation signed by Brigadier Robert Laycock - Stiwot Archive
- Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 35729 published on the 2 October 1942
- The Geneolofy of the Selwyn and related families
- Photo identification of campaign medals