Speare, Richard Douglas
- Date of death:
- November 23rd, 1945 (Edale Moors/Derbyshire, Great Britain)
- Buried on:
- Commonwealth War Graves Bournemouth North Cemetery
Row: K.4. Grave: 95.
- Service number:
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
Dickie Speare started his flying career at Royal Air Force No. 9 Flying Training School in 1936.
He served with 38 and 75 Squadron before he in 1940 was transferred to No. 15 Operational Training Unit. In May 1941 he was transferred to No. 7 Squadron. He served with different training and operational units until early June 1943 when he joined No. 138 "Speacial Duties" Squadron. He served with this unit until early May 1944.
He was killed in a flying accident when he in a Avro Anson hit a hill on Edale Moors during bad weather. He was laid to rest in Bournemouth North Cemetery on November 30th, 1945. He was 29 years old.
March 23th, 1936: Acting Pilot Officer (probation)
January 27th, 1937
August 27th, 1938: Flying Officer
August 27th, 1940: Flight Lieutenant
September 1st, 1941: Temporary Squadron Leader
September 1st, 1943: Squadron Leader (war sub)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Acting Wing Commander
- No. 460 (RAAF) Squadron, Royal Air Force
- Awarded on:
- August 13th, 1943
"Wing Cdr Speare has completed a large number of operational sorties, many of which were against the enemy's most heavily defended targets, including Berlin. At all times he has displayed excellent airmanship, performing his duties as flight commander in a efficient manner."
Second DFC awarded as a bar for on the ribbon of the first DFC.
"Since being awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Flying Cross this officer has completed many sorties which have demanded a high degree of skill and resolution. He has at all times displayed great keenness and determination and his gallant example has inspired all with whom he has flown."
- - The London Gazette Issue 34272 published on the 7 April 1936
- The London Gazette Issue 34374 published on the 20 February 1937
- The London Gazette Issue 34551 published on the 13 September 1938
- The London Gazette Issue 34964 published on the 8 October 1940
- The London Gazette Issue 35270 published on the 9 September 1941
- Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 35284 published on the 23 September 1941
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 35353 published on the 18 November 1941
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36131 published on the 10 August 1943
- Third Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36245 published on the 9 November 1943
- Fifth Supplement to The London Gazette Issue 36609 published on the 11 July 1944
- Flight Global - Archive
- New Mills
- Air War over Denmark
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission