At the end of the 350 meters long rifle-range (photo 3 & 4), at the former Kamp Amersfoort a statue was unveiled in 1953. This statue, that represents a prisoner in front of an execution squad, is a reminder to the victims that have fallen in Kamp Amersfoort.
One fist of the stone prisoner is clenched as a sign of powerless anger and as a sign of his unbroken will. The statue and the base plinth are placed on a star shaped mosaic with 5 peace pigeons on top of it who reflect the five war years. The stone prisoner, with the official name "Prisoner standing in front of the firing squad", is called by the locals "The stone man" (photo 1,2,5). The sort of stone used is Vaurion, a soft French lime sandstone.
The 350 metre long rifle-range at the Appelweg across from the former Kamp Amersfoort was dug out by the prisoners under barbaric conditions. At the end of the rifle-range they discovered the grave of 49 prisoners who were shot as a reprisal for the attack on Rauter. On the place of this grave now stands the 'Stone Man'.
The definitive monument, named 'Prisoner in front of the fire squad', was unveiled on 14 May 1953 by the then prime minister W. Drees. The needed funds were gathered by the 'Prisonercommitee Kamp Amersfoort'. Former prisoner Frits Sieger is the creator of the monument.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Barry van Veen
- Photos: Anneke Moerenhout