The 5-span bridge section (507 A-B1) can be found along the Avenue de Bedford. It was part of the floating bridge that belonged to the artificial harbor on Omaha beach.
After the Normandy landings, the Allies immediately started building two Mulberry harbours, one American Mulberry A at Vierville-sur-Mer (Omaha beach), the second a British Mulberry B at Arromanches-les-Bains.
Next to the bridge parts is a large sign with the poem "Jean".
More information about the Mulberry ports:
The well-established flow of supplies and troops faltered on June 19, 1944. The wind started to blow harder and a storm arose, so fierce that, according to those in the know, it had not occurred in decades. The harbor had been built to withstand a storm, but such forces had not been taken into account. During the storm, more than 800 ships ran aground, some of which were irretrievably lost.
The American port was not yet complete and therefore extra vulnerable to the storm. Americans were also less precise in placing the parts and breakwaters, so the storm could do more damage. A group of 16 LCTs sought shelter, but caused damage by colliding with parts of the harbour. The consequences were catastrophic and would mean the end of the American port. It was decided to transfer the salvageable parts to the British port. This was acceptable because the capture of Cherbourg would be almost complete. As a result of the interruption in supply, the Americans experienced shortages of certain types of ammunition, which were so badly needed for the attack on Cherbourg. It was decided to put 8 ships with ammunition on the beach. Ammunition and fuel were given top priority.
Read the entire article here.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Ewoud van Eig & Frank van der Drift
- Photos: Lennard Bolijn