On a journey of discovery to historical sites? Download the TracesOfWar app directly on Google Play or the Apple App Store.

Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind

The museum Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind (Otto Weidt’s Blindenwerkstatt) opened on December 5, 2006. It tells the story of Otto Weidt’s efforts to save Jews.

During the Second World War the brush manufacturer Otto Weidt (1883 - 1947) employed mainly blind and deaf Jews who produced brooms and brushes here. Various life stories testify to Otto Weidt’s efforts to protect his Jewish employees from persecution and deportation. As danger grew, he searched for hiding-places for some of them. One of these hideouts was in the rooms that are now part of the museum.

The workshop of the brush factory is now a small museum located close to the Anne Frank Centre.

Otto Weidt was decorated by the Yad Vashem Institute in 1971.

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!