During the pogrom of 9 to 10 November 1938 this synagogue was rescued by police officer Wilhelm Krützfeld. With his weapon he commanded the men of the SA to leave by invoking the law for the protection of historic buildings. He called the fire department which also came despite the ban on fighting fires on Jewish properties. This prevented the synagogue from destruction; only one door was slightly damaged. Afterwards the building was 24 hours a day under police protection.
In 1943 the building was heavily damaged during an air strike. From 1989 on the building was restored. Since 1966 the building contains a plaque which commemorates the November pogrom and the bombing. However, there is no mention of the rescue of the building by Wilhelm Krützfeld and the fire brigade.
Since 1995 a small plaque in the building next to the synagogue commemorates the action of Wilhelm Krützfeld.
(translation by Dan Reid)
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
Helaas geen map gevonden.