On a journey of discovery to historical sites? Download the TracesOfWar app directly on Google Play or the Apple App Store.

Liefkenshoek Fortress

This fort was built in 1584 and was part of the Defense-line of Antwerp.

In both World Wars, the fortress was used by the German occupiers. In the Second World War, the access building was heavily damaged by several Allied bombing.

The powder magazine was built in 1810 according to the keystone above the door. Due to the risk of explosion which could lead to the destruction of the port of Antwerp, the gunpowder was taken from the ships and stored here from 1816 to 1829. It was recharged upon departure. The original floor was removed by the German occupier in World War II. The oak beams were used for other purposes.
The toilet block against the stone wall near the powder magazine dates from the quarantine period. It is equipped with French squat toilets.

For current visiting hours, please visit the website of the museum.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!


  • Text: Fedor de Vries & TracesOfWar
  • Photos: Peter van Steenbergen

51.294626, 4.285516