Plaques Reinwardt Academie

At the fašade of the Reinwardt Academie are two of frosted-glass plaques confirmed.

The inscription on the plaque next to the main entrance of the Academy reads:
"AT HORTUSPLANSTOEN 2 WAS FROM
128 TILL 1976 THE J.C. AMMANSCHOOL
FOR EDUCATION OF DEAF CHILDREN FROM ALL RELIGIONS
DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR (1940-1945)
WERE ALSO HERE THE JEWISH PUPILS AND
TEACHERS PROSECUTED BY THE GERMAN OCCUPIERS.
THIS PLAQUE COMMEMORATE THEIR FLIGHTS AND HIDINGS.
MOST OF THEM WERE KILLED IN GERMAN CAMPS.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET THEM.
FOUNDATION DOVENSHOAN."


The text on the second plaque reads:
IN THE BUILDING
HORTUSPLANSTOEN 1
ALMOST ALL BOARD MEMBERS, MANY TEACHERS
AND MOST PUPILS OF THE E.J. VAN DETSCHOOL (girl school),
REMOVED AND MURDERED BY THE GERMAN OCCUPIERS.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET THEM.


A third plaque was added inside the building in 2016, commemorating the killed board members, teachers and students.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source

  • Text: Ewoud van Eig & Kaj Metz
  • Photos: Anneke Moerenhout (1,2,3), Anita Stargardt & Kaj Metz (4,5)