On a journey of discovery to historical sites? Download the TracesOfWar app directly on Google Play or the Apple App Store.


During the Second World War the Germans in Nijmegen built three bunkers in the Valkhofpark in 1943. This was done out of fear for an allied invasion from the Dutch coast, after which advancements could be made into Germany. The bunker helped in the German defense of the city on September 19th 1944 as the allied soldiers were unable to cross the Waal bridge. This eventually led to another crossing over the Waal at another place, where now a new bridge is located.

Today of the three bunkers only the Valkhofbunker remains, after the southern bunker was broken down in 1947 and the bunker near the Belvédère was broken down in 1984. The Valkhofbunker was rediscovered in 2011, after which research and renovation was done, before re-opening for public on October 25th 2015.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!


  • Text: Lennard Bolijn
  • Photos: Peter van Steenbergen (1), Stichting Valkhofbunker (2), Alex Ossel (3, 4, 5)
  • Stichting Valkhofbunker

Related books