The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- December 17th, 1912 (Rövershagen/Mecklenburg, Germany)
- Date of death:
- March 22nd, 1945 (Herxheim/Palatinate, Germany)
- Buried on:
- German War Cemetery Andilly
Plot: 35`. Row: 10. Grave: 731.
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
Fritz Klingenberg was born on 17th December 1912 in Rövershagen, Germany. He joined the SS-Verfügungstruppe in 1934. In 1935 he graduated from the SS-Junker-Schule in Bad Tölz and was promoted to SS-Untersturmführer. His first assignment was with the SS-Standarte "Germania" where he was a Kompanie-Führer. After this he was assigned to the staff of the "Inspektor der SS-Verfügungstruppe". In the battle for France in June 1940 he was Kompanie-Führer in the SS-Division "Reich". Subsequently he was involved in the fightings at the Balkan. He stayed in command of a Kradschützen-Bataillon until 1942, after which he was assigned to the staff of the SS-Junker-Schule "Bad Tölz", as commander of a group of officer recruits. In January 1945 he became Kommandeur of the 17.SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Götz von Berlichingen". He was killed on 22 March 1945, not far from Herxheim in the Palatinate. His remains have never been found.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Chef 2. / SS-Kradschützen-Bataillon "Reich" / SS-Division "Reich" / XXXXI.Armeekorps / 12.Armee
- Awarded on:
- May 14th, 1941
- Photo 1: Willi Schumacher Collection
- Photo: Willi Schumacher Collection
- - Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Fellgiebel W.P., Elite of the Third Reich, The recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939-1945: A Reference, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003, ISBN 1-874622-46-9
- Patzwall K., Scherzer V., Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945, Geschichte und Inhaber Band II, Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall, Norderstedt, 2001, ISBN 3-931533-45-X