The website has become even bigger and better! WW2Awards.com has been fully merged with TracesOfWar.com. From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket
- Date of birth:
- January 20th, 1910 (Lustenau/Vorarlberg, Austria)
- Date of death:
- January 1st, 1977 (Innsbruck/Tirol, Austria)
- Austrian (1919-1934, Republic)
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Hauptmann (Captain)
- Kommandeur, I. Bataillon, Panzergrenadier-Regiment 74, 19. Panzer Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- December 11th, 1942
During a counterattack against Soviet forces that had broken through north of Vyazma along the Shisdra river at the start of December 1941, Hauptmann Fitz managed to recapture 8 fortified villages. He not only recaptured the old frontline but also advanced far beyond his attack objective on his own initiative. This resulted in significant enemy elements being cut off. His Bataillon alone captured over 200 prisoners, several guns as well as numerous infantry weapons and ammunition. Fitz was heavily wounded during this battle, but would be recognized for his success with the award of the Knight’s Cross.
Awarded for his outstanding achievements near Anzio-Nettuno. During this time Fitz would be captured by the enemy and transported in a US tank. However Fitz managed to both break his way out to freedom and destroy the tank that was taking him away.
- Photo 1: Wehrkundearchiv
- Photo: Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv
- - FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- THOMAS, FRANZ & WEGMANN, GÜNTER, Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945, Biblio-Verlag, 1997.
- Die Ordensträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht (CD), VMD-Verlag GmbH, Osnabrück, 2002
- Kwasny A., Kwasny G., Die Eichenlaubträger 1940-1945 (CD), Deutsches Wehrkundearchiv, Lage-Waddenhausen, 2001
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945