The website has become even bigger and better! has been fully merged with From now on, the sections Persons and Awards are available. Much more information in a larger jacket

Dove, George Frederick

Date of birth:
1921 (Scarborough/North Yorkshire, United Kingdom)
Date of death:
October 2005 (Scarborough/North Yorkshire, United Kingdom)
Service number:
621162 (NCO)/54236 (Officer)
British (1801-present, Kingdom)


George Dove first served with 166 Squadron flying Hampdens prior to WW2 and soon after the outbreak of war he transferred to 10 Squadron in May 1940. By the end of October 1940 had completed 26 sorties. He survived the crash of Whitley P4957 on moorland near Slaggyford in the North Pennines on 30th October 1940 but sustained a broken arm.
Probably as a result of the fire (see CGM citaton) as a consquence he suffered burns he was grounded from flying but Post-war he served from 1960-1970 as Commanding Officer of the Scarborough 739 Squadron of the Air Training Corps.

Flight Sergeant
Warrant Officer
19 January, 1944: Pilot Officer on Probation (Officer)
19 July, 1944: Flying Officer (war sub)
27 May, 1960: Appointment to commission (four years) as Flying Officer - Training Branch - RAFVR
27 May, 1964: Period of service extended by four years
27 mei 1968: Period of service extended by four years
28 December, 1969: Commission resigend, retaining rank of Flight Lieutenant

Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!

Second World War (1939-1945)
No. 10 Squadron, Royal Air Force
Awarded on:
April 18th, 1941
"Prior to being posted from this unit this Wireless Operator / Air Gunner had completed a total of 31 operational missions. Of these missions, 26 were successfully completed and eight were carried out in the capacity of 1st Wireless Operator. Details of the successful missions are give here under [by way of example]:
23.9.1940. Captain of aircraft - P./O. Bridson. Invasion barges and shipping at Boulogne were successfully attacked on this occasion. Bursts were seen in the No. 3 basin and fires broke out. Heavy and accurate flak from A.A. guns was experienced and the aircraft was hit several times but no casualties were sustained. Searchlights were operating in fair numbers.
29.10.1940. Captain of aircraft - P./O. Peers. A successful attack was made on the docks and shipping at Wilhelmshaven. All bombs were dropped in one stick from 10,000 feet and bursts were seen in the target area. Intense opposition from A.A. guns and searchlights was encountered but no damage or casualties were sustained. On returning to base, the aircraft circled the aerodrome, received permission to land but flew on and finally crashed at Slaggyford. The aircraft was completely wrecked but the crew escaped with superficial injuries.
This N.C.O., though a slow starter, eventually achieved a high degree of efficiency as a 1st Wireless Operator. He possesses a quiet personality and has proved himself sound and completely reliable. His conduct on all operations has been in accordance with the highest traditions of the Service."
Distinguished Flying Medal (DFM)
Second World War (1939-1945)
Flight Sergeant
No. 101 Squadron, Royal Air Force
Awarded on:
March 23rd, 1943
Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (CGM)
"On the night of 14th February, 1943, Pilot Officer Gates, Flight Sergeant Dove and Sergeants Williams, Bain and Airey were members of the crew of an aircraft captained by Sergeant Hazard, which was detailed to attack Milan. Whilst over the target area, the aircraft was attacked by an enemy fighter from -close range. Its gunfire exploded some incendiary bombs which had failed to release and a fire quickly developed in the bomber. The fuselage became a mass of flames reaching through the mid-upper turret manned by Flight Sergeant Dove. Ammunition in the turret boxes and ducts commenced to explode in all directions. In the face of an appalling situation, Flight Sergeant Dove coolly remained at his post. Although he was burned about the hands and face, he manned his guns with grim resolution, skill and accuracy. He delivered a devastating burst at the attacker, which had already been engaged and hit by the rear gunner and succeeded in destroying it. Disregarding the roaring flames, he then descended from his turret and went to the assistance of Sergeant Airey, the rear gunner, who had been wounded, and extricated him from the rear turret. The situation had become extremely critical and Sergeant Hazard ordered the crew to prepare to abandon aircraft. When informed that one of his comrades was helpless he decided, in spite of the grave risk entailed, to attempt a forced landing. Meanwhile, Pilot Officer Gates, assisted by Sergeants Williams and Bain bravely tackled the fire with extinguishers and succeeded in getting it under control. The aircraft was now down to 800 feet but, as the fire had subsided. Sergeant Hazard quickly decided to attempt to fly the badly damaged bomber home. He regained height and displaying fine airmanship crossed the Alps in safety, although 1 engine failed whilst so doing. On the remainder of the journey Pilot Officer Gates rendered valuable assistance to his captain and frequently ministered to his wounded comrade, although this necessitated clambering over a hole in the floor of the aircraft in darkness. Aided by the skilful navigation of Sergeant Williams and good work by Sergeant Bain, the flight engineer, Sergeant Hazard succeeded in flying the seriously damaged aircraft back to this C9untry. In circumstances of the greatest danger, this aircraft crew displayed-courage, fortitude and devotion, to duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the Royal Air Force."
Originally recommended for the Victoria Cross but downgraded to a CGM.
Simultaneously awarded to:
- Sergeant Ivan Hazard
- Sergeant William Williams
- Sergeant James Bain
- Sergeant Leslie Airey
The DSO was awarded to Pilot Officer Gates