The "Monumental Relief" is the sixth part of the immens memorial complex on the Mamayev Kurgan (Mamayev Hill). This wall contains scenes of the last phase of the battle of Stalingrad and Soviet soldiers celebrating the victory over the invaders. There is also a symbolic gravestone with the following inscription:
"Here on the 9th of May, 1970, on the day of the Victory of the soviet people over the fascist Germany the capsule, containing a message from the veterans and citizens of the city-hero to the future generations, was buried. It should be opened on the 9th of May, 2045 on the day of 100th jubilee of the victory over the fascist Germany.”
The Mamayev hill (height 103.0 on military maps) was the highest point in Stalingrad (today: Volgograd) and thus an important objective of the German 6th Army during the battle of Stalingrad. Fighting for this hill began on 13 September 1942, when German troops assaulted the fortified Mamayev, which was defended by elements of the Soviet 62th Army. When the Germans took the hill, they began firing on the centre of Stalingrad. The Soviet 13th Guards-rifle Division (10,000 men strong) retook Mamayev on 16 September 1942, suffering extreme losses. The Germans assaulted the hill an avarage of 12 times a day and the hill changed several times of ownership during the battle. The 6th German Army managed to take half of Mamayev hill on 27 September 1942. This situation remained unchanged untill the defenders's relief by the Sovjet winter offensive on 26 January 1943.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Kaj Metz
- Photos: Auke de Vlieger