Now used as a private home. Still largely original, but undergoing various changes such as plastic frames and white facades. Zuidkamp 2 was built during the months of December 1940 / February 1941 as an alloying and administration building for watchmen from the Zuidkamp. After the war it was used in the same way.
The actual gatehouse is building Z1 across the street. The special feature of Zuidkamp 2 is the covered side entrance.
The Luftwaffe built Fliegerhorst Twente with the starting point that it should not stand out from the sky. The runways were painted green and arable crops were used on the adjacent grass.
The Zuidkamp was next to the Prins Bernhardpark an area with various alloy buildings such as a hospital, canteen, shelters, church, garages, etc. The setup was deliberately spacious, twice as large as the former Lonneker, which forced many families to move. The buildings were designed in a standardized way and had to pass for Twente farms. The building style, however, was German, not Twents, but from the air it didn't hurt. The Luftwaffe had a preference for a bright red brick with walls of 55 cm, which were considered shard-resistant. Sometimes the local architectural style was copied, such as a gable roof or top facades. The shutters in front of the windows were painted green / red / white (four triangles) to make it look more like farms. In reality, these were steel shutters, to protect the windows against shards.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Alex Ossel
- Photos: Alex Ossel