Werthern, Freiherr von, Thilo
- Date of birth:
- July 24th, 1912 (Coburg/Bavaria, Germany)
- Date of death:
- January 10th, 2004 (Hamburg, Germany)
- German (1933-1945, German Reich)
November 1st, 1941: Hauptmann (6a).
September 1st, 1939: Kp.Chef Pz.Jg.Abt. 26;
August 1st, 1940: Kp.Chef Pz.Ers.Abt. 5;
October 2nd, 1940: Kp.Chef Pz.Rgt. 27;
April, 1940: Fhr.Res. OKH;
June 16th, 1942: Lehrg.Ltr. Kp.Fhr. Schule Versailles;
January 1st, 1943: Taktiklehrer am Fhj.-u.Offz.Lehrg. der Pz.Tr.;
July 16th, 1943: Lehrgr.Kdr. am Obfhnr.-Lehrg. der Pz.Tr.;
May 8th, 1944: Stb. Gen.Insp.d.Pz.Tr. Stellengr. B.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- Oberleutnant (1st Lieutenant)
- Chef, 3. Kompanie, I. Bataillon, Schützen-Regiment 394, 3. Panzer-Division, Heer
- Awarded on:
- September 8th, 1941
Oberleutnant von Werthern was awarded the Knight’s Cross for his decisive leadership on 27 June 1941. On that day his battalion had pressed through multiple Soviet defensive lines but then began to falter in the woods around Kalista. The battalion commander, Major Kratzenburg, was badly wounded. His replacement became a casualty soon afterwards, being hit twice in the legs. It was at this stage that von Werthern took command, reenergizing the attack and eventually clearing out the woods in close combat, though with high losses.
- Photo 1: Norbert Beyerlein
- Photo: Norbert Beyerlein
- - DÖRR, M., Die Inhaber der Anerkennungsurkunde des Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres 1941-1945, Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, 1993.
- FELLGIEBEL, W.P., Elite of theThird Reich, Helion & Company Limited, Solihull, 2003.
- VETERANS OF THE 3RD PANZER DIVISION, Armored Bears, Stackpole Books, 2012.
- Officer Evaluation report from the Bundesarchiv
- Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945