Russell, Robert Ernest
- Date of birth:
- January 2nd, 1916 (Teignmouth/Devon, United Kingdom)
- Date of death:
- 2002 (Bournemouth/Hampshire, United Kingdom)
- Service number:
- British (1801-present, Kingdom)
After the war was won in Africa, Russell landed in Italy, just south of Salerno on 9/9/1943.
He was taken PoW on 16/9/1943 and interned at at Eichstatt in Bavaria ( Oflag7B, POW No. 4266.), followed by Sep 1943 Moosberg, Sep 1943 to Oct 1943 Luckenwalde, Oct 1943 to Apr 1945 VIIB Eichstatt, Apr 1945 to 29/04/1945 VIIA Moosberg
February 28th, 1942: 2nd Lieutenant.
Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!
- Second World War (1939-1945)
- 8th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, 167th (London) Infantry Brigade, 56th (London) Infantry Division, British Army
- Awarded on:
- August 19th, 1943
“On May 9th 1943 this officer commanded a platoon in a Battalion attack on an extremely strong enemy position North of Enfidaville. This position was a steep rocky ridge, the slopes of which were mined and swept by machine gun and mortar fire. By his example and determined leadership his platoon captured the objective in spite of heavy casualties. His successful reorganisation under very heavy artillery, mortar and Machine Gun fire enabled the objective to be held for several hours against all enemy efforts to recover the position. When ordered to withdraw he did so in good order, bringing away many of his wounded. Throughout these actions his determined leadership and complete disregard for personal danger were the greatest inspiration to his men under most trying circumstances.”
- - Second Supplement to The London Gazette of 10th March 1942, Issue 35485, dated 13th MArch 1942
- Supplement to The London Gazette of 17th August 1943, Issue 36138, dated 19th August 1943
- Medals of England