TracesOfWar needs your help! We miss photos of important sights in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Submit your photos to and it will be published!

Vernon, Sydney Morton

Date of birth:
December 24th, 1916 (Newcastle Upon Tyne)
Date of death:
January 24th, 1975
Service number:
British (1801-present, Kingdom)


Sydney Vernon was the son of Captain Frederick Lewis Vernon, 26th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, being Killed in Action 1 July 1916 aged 30

June 12th, 1938: Acting Lance Corporal;
June 12th, 1939: Lance Corporal;
July 3rd, 1939: Corporal;
April 19th, 1940: Acting Lance Sergeant;
December 24th, 1940: Lance Sergeant (War subs.);
May 7th, 1942: Acting Sergeant;
February 8th, 1943: Sergeant (War subs.);'
February 2nd, 1944: Acting Warrant Officer Class II;
October 29th, 1944: Warrant Officer II (War subs.);
October 7th, 1948: Warrant Officer II.

February 17th, 1937: 232rd Field Company;
May 25th, 1939: 505th Field Company;
September 8th, 1941: 126th Company;
August 12th, 1942: 505th Field Company;
April 3rd, 1946: Reserve;
October 6th, 1948: Royal Engineers Territorial Army;
October 7th, 1948: 103rd Field Engineer Regiment;
February 17th, 1960: Eervol ontslag.

Do you have more information about this person? Inform us!

Second World War (1939-1945)
505 Field Company, Royal Engineers
Awarded on:
June 1st, 1943
"On the 20th March 1943, Sergeant Vernon was ordered by his Platoon Commander to clear, mark and level off a path through an enemy minefield on the forward slope of the WADI ZIGAOU. He detail the necessary working parties and commenced work under heavy machine-gun fire from the enemy strong point across the WADI OUERZI. As soon as work had been seen by enemy observation posts heavy artillery and mortar fire was brought to bear on the party and casualties were incurred.
Despite many tactical and engineering adversities, Sergeant Vernon carried on with allotted task, showing great skill and determination and at 0230 hours he personally guided the first four tanks across the WADI bed. Work continued on the WADI crossing under increasing fire until the Platoon was ordered to withdraw.
On 21 March 1943, the Platoon commander, Sergeant Vernon and a section returned to the WADI to finish off and improve the crossing. Enemy fire was once again was extremely fierce and snipers were operating with 300 yards of the crossing. At 0400 hours the Platoon Commander and recce Sergeant were both wounded and Sergeant Vernon took command.
He completed this task and crossed the WADI alone to contact the Commander 6th Battalion Durham Light Infantry who it was believed required engineering assistance. On finding Battalion Headquarters Sergeant Vernon was told that he would not be required immediately and he was to return to area of Brigade Headquarters and stand by for further orders. By this time, the sun had risen and with great difficulty this N.C.O. return to his men and led them to rendezvous without further casualties."
Distinguished Conduct Medal
Second World War (1939-1945)
Awarded with "8TH ARMY" clasp.
Africa Star