On a journey of discovery to historical sites? Download the TracesOfWar app directly on Google Play or the Apple App Store.

Mariakapel Bekelaar

The Maria Chapel on the Sint Sebastiaanweg was officially opened on 22 July 1951 in gratitude for the safe return of 66 Mierlose soldiers from Indonesia. In the period 1945-1950 they competed in Indonesia for Queen and Fatherland.

Also commemorated here are Jan Peters-Rit, who died in Rangoon in 1942, and Martien Louwers, who died in 1943 due to war violence in Chunkia. Plaques have been placed in the chapel for them.

The design of this octagonal chapel with a tent roof, on which a sphere with a cross, is by the Eindhoven architect Frans Vervest. The necessary funds to realize the chapel were collected by the Mierlose population through various campaigns. Contractor Jan Verbruggen built the chapel with the efforts of volunteer employees. The statue 'Mary with child' in the chapel was made by the Mierlo-born artist Piet Slegers.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source

  • Text: TracesOfWar.nl
  • Photos: Jeroen Koppes