On 21 September 1944 Dakota KG340 of 271 Squadron Down Ampney was hit by FLAK. The aircraft crashed along the Achterstraat at Heteren near the position of the contemporary A50 motorway viaduct. Three crew members perished:
- Pilot Officer F.W. Cuer (pilot; 23 years)
- Warrant Officer C.A. Anderson (navigator; 23 years)
- Driver G. High (air despatcher, 34 years)
They are buried at the Heteren General Cemetery.
The other crew members came down safely and made it back to the allied lines:
- Flight Sergeant J.N. Bayley (RAAF, co-pilot)
- Flight Sergeant B. Tipping (wireless operator)
The air desptachers of 223 Air Despatch Company RASC:
- Lance Corporal V. Heywood
- Driver J. Robinson
- Corporal E. Slade
There is no memorial at the crash location.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!