- Second World War (1939-1945)
- SS-Hauptsturmführer (Captain)
- Führer, III. Bataillon (gepanzerte), SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 4 "Der Führer", SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Das Reich", Waffen-SS
- Awarded on:
- August 23rd, 1944
Awarded for the actions of his battalion during the fighting in Normandy, in particular...
1) The defence of La-Haye-de-Puits on 08.07.1944, during which his battalion repulsed a total of 11 attacks, 9 of them via immediate counterattacks.
2) His battalion's successful counterattack on 22.07.1944. In the evening of that day the Americans managed to penetrate the front of Werner's battalion near Le Closet with help from tanks and artillery. However the battalion then launched a sharp counterattack with support from SS-Panzer-Regiment 2. It was a resounding success and the old positions were reoccupied by 21:30. In addition they captured over 300 prisoners, including a lieutenant colonel and 11 officers.