Construction of this civil airfield started in 1936. In August 1939 the airfield was requisitioned for mobilization.
The 1st Reconnaissance Group of the 2nd Aviation Regiment operated from this airfield. They flew here with Fokker C-V and Koolhoven FK.51 aircraft. Later the Fighter Group Field Army / 2nd Fighter Flying Division was added with Fokker D-XVIIs.
In the night of 9 to 10 May 1940, the airfield was attacked by the German Luftwaffe and some aircraft were damaged. The airfield was subsequently requisitioned and expanded by the Germans. The airfield was not actively used by the Luftwaffe. The airport was used to assemble training aircraft and to fly in from the airport.
At the end of the war, the Germans blew up the buildings and destroyed materials. The Allies could use the airfield almost immediately. The British 657th Army Squadron started using the airfield and flew from Hilversum to provide support to the Canadian army. The field was used by the Allies until January 1946.
Now it is back in active use for civil aviation.
Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!
- Text: Willem Visser
- Photos: Willem Visser