On a journey of discovery to historical sites? Download the TracesOfWar app directly on Google Play or the Apple App Store.

Fietsroute Geldrop-Mierlo punt 3

Branten mill

During wartime, the current Hertenkampstraat and Ellenaar were still undeveloped. However, the mill of Branten stood on the mill hill a few meters high on the edge of the village. This elevation in the landscape turned out to be an excellent location for placing anti-aircraft guns in the direction of Eindhovensch Kanaal and Mierlo-Hout.

The mill probably dates from 1640, was owned by the Lord of Mierlo and was initially located on the Molenheide (a part towards Geldrop).

In 1853 the Branten family became the owner and the mill was moved to its current location in the village. The mill was in very bad condition before 1941 and was then restored. Later, when the Municipality of Mierlo became the owner, another restoration took place.

Do you have more information about this location? Inform us!

Source

  • Text: TracesOfWar.nl
  • Photos: Jeroen Koppes